Saturday, January 10, 2015

Time Catcher

There are lot of dreamcatchers being tattooed, I see them all the time. That was one of the first tattoos I ever wanted but I never got one, possibly because of money or possibly I wasn't really sure. I have had chronic nightmares for years, since puberty onward. I can remember one or two dreams, but mostly they're all nightmares. I don't see monsters technically, or fantasy worlds, and I can't seem to get control like some people. My ex-husband used to tell me that if something bothered him in a dream, he'd pull out a gun and shoot it because it's in his mind and he's in control of it. Whether that's true or not, I don't have that kind of control when I'm unconcious. I have a dream catcher hanging above my bed with three little ones hanging from it; all rainbow colored and made in Tibet-in-Exile. I love it, and every so often I cleanse it with sage, but it doesn't help me much.

Yet the story of dreamcatchers is so mystifying and personal. The concept of such a practical solution to an irrational problem, that one may use a net to catch bad dreams. Simply put the net in the room you sleep in, and the device does the task. That is crazy, but yet comforting. 

I still want one someday, but I hate the idea of having a tattoo on me that some other person has, because I'm an artist and that's nuts when I can make as much art as I want to fit my body. I have been toying with modifications of this classic talisman and thought, "What if it caught bad time instead of bad dreams? What if it let the good times through, but the bad would remain until cleansed out with sage like I do with my dreamcatcher? Is that any crazier?" I don't think it's crazier, I want to think of more now. 


What else is inside our life but out of our control and needs a net to catch the bad, but let the good through?

No comments:

Post a Comment